Norms & Standards
Norms and Standards for Elementary Teacher Education Programme Leading to Diploma in Elementary Education (D.El.Ed)
The programme is aimed at preparing teacher for 1st to 8th level education.
- Free and compulsory elementary education (6-14 Years) is the
fundamental right of every child in our country. The aim of elementary
education is to fulfil the basic learning needs of all children in an
inclusive school environment bridging social and gender gaps with the active participation of the community.
- The elementary stage of education marks the beginning of formal
introduction of the child to the 3R’s gradually moving on to the study of
the disciplines. It should provide for a learning environment for children
that promote joyful, activity based and participatory teaching and
- The objectives elementary education are to enable the child to develop
skills of literacy, numeracy, communication and problem solving and
acquire knowledge and understanding of the physical and social world
around and attitudes and skills related to enhancing productivity and
quality of life.
- The elementary teacher education programme carries different
nomenclatures like BTC, Diploma in Education, TTC and so on. Both the
duration of the training and entry qualifications differ across states. The
course is offered in elementary teacher education institutions and DIETs.
Duration of Programme
The elementary teacher education programmeshall be of duration of two academic years.
- The course has a duration of two years consisting of 400 working days
excluding the examination days. the total working hours should be 2400
hours, @ hrs per day
- A working day shall be of a minimum of 6 hours in a six-day week,
during which physical presence in the institution of all the teachers is
necessary to ensure their availability for individual advice, guidance,
dialogues and consultation as and when needed.
- There shall be a basic unit of 50 students, for each year, however,
the District Institute of Education & Technology (DIET’s)
- Candidates with at least 50% marks in the senior secondary examination (+2) or its equivalent are eligible for admission
- The reservation for SC/ST/OBC and other categories shall be as per the rules of Central Government / State Government, whichever is applicable. There shall be relaxation of 5% marks in favor of SC/ST/OBC and other categories of candidates
- Admission shall be made on merit on the basis of marks obtained in the qualifying examination or any other selection process as per the policy of the State Government.